Monday, January 10, 2011

Mercies!

Lam. 3:22-23 -It is through the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is Thy faithfulness. (21st KJV)

 I heard this verse along with many other verses this morning, and I just zoomed in on this one. I zoomed in on it because of this ‘the LORD mercies’. I was able to purchase over the holidays a full set of Matthew Henry’s commentary unabridged of the entire bible (it was recommended to me by my pastor). So, I went to it to see what he said about these two verses. He basically said, is God’s is an inexhaustible fountain of mercies granted to us inspite of what we have done. The Father bestows upon us, even in our consequence of bad choices, what we are not due. However, in speaking to the 21st century audience, the question is asked, and I too asked is – what is mercy? I went to digging. Mercy according the dictionary has several meaning but the two that stuck out to me, and I think we identify with today is - easing of distress of pain and a welcome event that provides relief from something unpleasant. While the thesaurus has these words – forgiveness, kindness, compassion, benevolence, etc. And when I look into other version of these, mercies is interchanged with loving-kindness. Then I realized these verses, many have quoted, taught about, or used as a context for preaching a sermon, no one has not said to this - simply not to let life overwhelm us. We should not let the stresses in life overwhelm us, to where we are pre-occupied with it all because God will never let any of it take us, or over tax us. God is faithful to his promise. So, when the promotion or new job does not come, know God gotcha. The relationship did not work; He is there in the form of angel that guides you through it. When people do not understand and others distance themselves from you, you feel along and no one cares, know God is there in the smile or the unexpected hug delighting your soul. All of this is part of the process we must go through, to get to the other side, and God’s loving-kindness, mercy comes from an exhaustible fountain, and every morning it is as full as the day before. It is important to understand in this time of environmental consciousness; we have a renewable resource that cannot ever be depleted.  It is still under utilized in today’s spiritual market place, while impacting our concrete world-view, and pragmatic approach to problem solving.  So, exhale and be free because we having someone loving some me…So much so, the crown was laid down, the robe was pulled off, throne was left, and the pain was taken so we would not be consumed by life woes, and compassionate would be known as an unlimited resources…that is good!!!

No comments: