Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Why Counsel is necessary

Why do we need good counsel in our lives? Let us begin with verse Romans 12:3 (NASB) For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith. Without good counsel we are lost and confused by our own design. See, no matter how objective we say we are, it is difficult to look outside our individual mindset or understanding without good counsel for development, progression, or advancement. What am I talking about? I Cor 13:1-3 (NASB) - I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing. So, it does not matter how famous you are, wise, inspirational, or gifted, we are nothing without love, and real love begins with being honest in assessment and counsel. Which is something lacking many time for us Christian when to dealing with our gifted personalities. We forget the teaching of the word Proverbs 11:14 (NASB) – Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory. Well let me be clear, so that no one get it twisted. This verse speaks of good, righteous, godly, and loving counsel, not the kind that acquiesces or submits for fear of losing what man, we think provide, and not looking toward God who has really provided. Why do we need good counsel because of two things - 1 Cor. 15:33 (NASB) - Do not be deceived: ‘Bad company corrupts good morals’ and 2 Tim 1:7(NASB) - For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline. None of this is possible, if we do not have good counsel… Isaiah 9:6b (NASB) - For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.

No comments: